Who Gets the Dog?

Is your spouse talking about filing for divorce?

How will I know that my spouse has started divorce proceedings?
In Illinois, divorce proceedings begin with a Summons and a Petition for Dissolution of Marriage which is served on the Respondent.
If your spouse filed first, that makes your spouse the Petitioner and you the Respondent so you will be served with papers that tell you they are filing for divorce.

If you’re considering a divorce, please read this article that spells out Twelve Big Questions to Ask Yourself Before Considering a Divorce.

Aspects of divorce you will need to consider…

If your spouse has filed for divorce or you believe you should go ahead with a divorce, then it’s time to answer the practical questions.

How much can you agree on before the lawyers get involved with the divorce?

Lawyers charge for all the time they spend on a case–time in court can add up very quickly. A judge will have to approve any agreements you reach outside of court, but he will be glad to not have to listen to the arguments about the details. Lawyers tend to make things adversarial–us against them. Consider using Alternative Dispute Resolution to settle as much as possible peacefully.

Mr. Nordgren knows that adversarial proceedings in a divorce can cause bitterness and resentment for years.

If you have children, step back and consider what will be best for them. Maybe the other parent will have more hours with the children than you get–is that really a big problem?

The more you can work together, the better it will be for your children.

How do we split the care of our children if we divorce?

See our discussion of the Parenting Plan that explains the details.

Do I have to pay Child Support if we divorce?

See our discussion of Child (Financial) Support that explains the factors that contribute to that decision.

Who gets the house if we divorce?

House Split in Half
You need to keep in mind that there will now be two households with expenses instead of one so the family’s standard of living will change. Your house may need to be sold to meet the requirements of the financial agreement.

How will our assets be divided if we divorce?

See our discussion of Divorce Property Division.

What if my spouse doesn’t want to get a job?

See our discussion of Spousal Maintenance (Alimony).

Sad Words Associated with Divorce

During what many psychologists have called the most stressful time in a person’s life, you will want our office to actively listen and relay your wishes to the Court. This is what we do best. 

Call us today with your questions at (312) 558-9100.